The Historic Firehouse No. 1 Museum [map it]
Completed in the Spring of 1861, this firehouse was home to Nevada Hose Company No.1 from 1861 to 1938. During those nearly 80 years, horse -drawn fire wagons and handcarts and “modern ” motorized fire engines rolled out the doors.
In 1947 the Nevada City City Council donated the use of the building to the Nevada County Historical Society to house its museum.
The brick building originally had a much simpler fašade of the Greek revival style, with a tall bell tower. In the early part of the twentieth century, the facade was replaced by the present Victorian gingerbread front. Today the firehouse has become a symbol of Nevada City. It is probably the most photographed building in Nevada City, as visitors are struck by its victorian grandeur.